PhD Programmes in English
Information for prospective PhD degree-seeking students
Excellent support for PhD studies
- Ca.100 doctoral degrees defended at the University of Tartu annually, or two-thirds of the total number in Estonia.
- Substantial financial support for PhD students at national and university levels: tuition is free of charge for all PhD students; additionally the majority of PhD students receive either the national doctoral allowance (currently ca. €400/month) or some other kind of financial aid.
- Doctoral schools at the University of Tartu facilitate special projects, foster international collaboration and bring extra funding and support for PhD studies, including international seminars and practical skills training.
- Half of Estonia’s national R&D budget goes to the University of Tartu. Total financing of R&D at the university reached 42 mln EUR in 2008.
Great place to live
- Historic university town nestled on the banks of the River Emajõgi.
- Intellectual capital of Estonia, with a rich cultural calendar.
- UNICEF awarded Tartu with the title of “Child Friendly City” in 2004: Tartu is safe, green and welcoming.
- Centre for innovation and technology transfer
- The Institute of Technology at the University of Tartu facilitates knowledge transfer into the economy.
- As of 2009 UT has engendered 24 spin-off companies, 37 registered inventions, 25 patents and 55 patent applications.